The trird chapter in my story about my overland trip from London to Johannesburg, Southbound, with the layover in Southern Africa, and back to London. This is the back to London chapter.


EO Johannesburg to London, departure 15 August 1979

On board firstly GLP 200J and mainly GLW 919J in orange

I left Johannesburg with a full truck, and being the sole Leader / Driver, in a temporary truck. We would overfly from Swaziland to Lusaka to join up with Tim's southbound trip and effectively swap trucks. Slight problem from the get go, Tim was not due to be ready to swap until the 28th August 1979. Accordingly our flight out of Swaziland was not until the 28th. Our departure was scheduled to be on Wednesday the 15 August 1979 and our flight was fixed for 28 August 1979, almost a fortnight later. 

We were due to arrive in London on Tuesday 11 December 1979, 119 days, 17 weeks, after leaving Johannesburg. We actually arrived in London 24 days late, on Friday 4 January 1980, just over 20 weeks in total. Unexpectedly Christmas and New Year on the road.

Loo stop in the desert


The incident of the toilet stop in the Desert


There are always the normal and mundane to go hand in hand with the notable and exciting  parts of the Expedition.

Unsurprisingly there is not a network of service stations along the route. So what to do?

News Flash

Travel data problems


Travel data problems

This is where it starts to get a little technical.

The site is built on a content management system, CMS, using Joomla. Joomla is moving forward and version 3.10.?? is being discontinued. Future developments are for version 4.??

Similarly, PHP 7 is being replaced with PHP 8.

Part of the migration is relatively simple, I have already changed to a new template which works on the new platforms.

However, some of the helper applications, which work within Joomla are not yet ready.

Fabrik is one of those applications, if fact a significant 'Joomla Custom Website Application Builder'.

Refresh 2021


Site refresh Easter 2021

I decided to give the site a bit of a refresh over Easter 2021 and install a new template and some additional functions. One of the things I didn't like about the old site was the delay in text appearing which probably meant some people left before the content appeared. This has been corrected now.